Dangerous animals licence

Exotic, Dangerous or Wild Animals

The Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 aims to ensure that where private individuals keep dangerous wild animals that they do so in circumstances which create no risk to the public and which safeguard the welfare of the animals. No person may keep any dangerous wild animal without first obtaining a licence from their local authority. The animals for which a licence is required before they may be kept are listed in the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 (Modification) Order 1984

Applying for a Licence

Applications for a licence must be made to the Local Authority, and a licence may be issued providing the applicant is not disqualified or has been convicted under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976.

The fee for such an application is £300.00 which included the cost of inspection carried out by the Council's authorised Veterinary Practitioner. Application forms and the standard conditions can be obtained by contacting us.

What happens next?

Once an application has been submitted the Council will arrange for an inspection to carried out by an authorised Veterinary Practitioner to ensure the welfare of the animals and the accommodation is suitable.

Before granting a licence the Licensing Inspector must be satisfied that:

  • It is not contrary to the public interest to do so on the grounds of safety, nuisance or other grounds.
  • The applicant is a suitable person to hold a licence to keep the animals listed on the application.
  • The animal(s) will be kept in accommodation that prevents its escape and is suitable in respect of construction, size, temperature, drainage and cleanliness.
  • That the animal(s) will be supplied with adequate and suitable food drink and bedding material and be visited at suitable intervals. Appropriate steps will be taken to ensure the protection of the animal(s) in case of fire or other emergency.
  • All reasonable precautions are taken to prevent the spread of infectious diseases.
  • The animal(s) accommodation is such that it can take adequate exercise.

Except in exceptional circumstances, the person making the application must be the person who owns and possesses or proposes to own and possess the animal to which the application applies.


Licences are renewable annually. Where a licence is granted that licence must be renewed before that date if the licence holder is to continue to keep the animal(s) named on the licence.


Contact Us

a to z of services
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P q R S T U V W x Y z